Thursday 30 October 2014

When is Exercise Really an Exercise?

Many people like to ask "Is walking exercise". Sure it is but if you are talking about those exercise that actually improve your health like losing weight, lower your cholesterol, I think we mean a different kind of exercise. Don't get me wrong, walking is definitely better than nothing and walking for hours probably does actually help. But I think we should go back like 30 years and look at the definition of exercise. People would probably not think walking as an exercise but daily requirement.
I think there is a simply way of defining what is exercise for each individual. If you can hold a conversation during your exercise, I would not classified it as exercise. I believe though doing something is better than doing nothing, if you keep asking why its not making a difference, you are not doing enough.
Effective exercise should be when you can't even complete a sentence in on breath. Hence it works for people of different stage. If you walk fast and u can't complete a full sentence, that's effective exercise for you. If you are a runner, probably running at a fast pace will reach that kind of stage. Do that for a extended stretch of time like 30 minutes and frequently, will probably be what I think will help most people get healthier.
Of course, this is just my personal opinion and people with health issues should definitely check with their doctors. Getting a good physical trainer will probably do most of the thinking for you. I am neither but someone who likes to exercise and keep healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment